No ttyS device at I/O port 0xfe004500 for console

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 14 07:25:21 EST 2006

> > On Jun 13, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Alex Zeffertt wrote:
> >
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to boot a linux-2.6.11 kernel on a MPC83xx based
> > board.
> > > Through
> > > some experimentation I have found I need
> > "console=uart,io,0xfe004500"
> > > in the kernel command line in order to get any output over
> > the serial
> > > port.
> > >
> > > Half way through initialisation the kernel appears to swap from its
> > > "early"
> > > 8250 serial driver to a "full" 8250 serial driver.  At this
> > point it
> > > prints "No ttyS device at I/O port 0xfe004500 for console"
> > and there
> > > is no further output.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?
> > >
> > > BTW, here's the output that I do get.
> >
> > Alex, where did you get this 2.6.11 kernel?  The public tree
> > didn't have support for 83xx in 2.6.11.  I'd suggest looking
> > at using something newer like 2.6.16 and see if you have the
> > same issue.
>
> I suspect he got from the same place I did, freescales LTIB dev. env.
> which has been patched to support 832x. I am having the same problem as he
> has, any info on what the problem might be would be great.
>
> Also, if anyone has any info on when these patches will be sent upstream, I
> sure would like to hear about it.
>
>  Jocke

Hi Joakim,

Same here -- go into arch/ppc/platforms/83xx and edit file mpc83xx_sys.c.
If you are using the 8323e cpu, then you need to make sure that file has
code to support the 8323E.  Mine didn't, so I got no platform devices
initialized (no serial port, no Eth devs).  I added a block of code to support
the 8323E (set mask to 0xffff0000 and "value" to 0x80620000, then the
device list for the 8323E).  Use existing code there as a guide, it was not
difficult once I figured out that this was the problem.

If you are using a newer LTIB release than me, perhaps yours is fixed.
The one I have is from 3/15/06.

Anyway, this works fine for me and addresses the problem of the platform
devs not getting initialized.

Chuck