Using RS232 Terminal as input device

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Mon Jun 12 05:51:20 EST 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 hbruegge at rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> Hi all
>

> I am using the kernel (2.6.15) in an ppc-based embedded system through a
> serial console on ttyS0 with no problems.
>
> Now I attached a graphic card to the system, which is correctly
> recognized and initialised by the Kernel. If I add "console=tty0
> console=ttyS0,57600" to the bootargs, I have the boot messages of the
> kernel on the screen and a login on the ttyS0.
>
> What I now want to do is to disable the serial console and use the
> graphic card as output and the raw character data (ASCII) coming in from
> the terminal connected to the rs232 as input.

Well, it is possible... The keyword to google for is inputattach. A
hint - it is a part of the linux-console package on sourceforge:
http://linuxconsole.cvs.sourceforge.net/linuxconsole/ruby/utils/. You
probably will have to write some glue driver. Or, probably, an easier
option - write a user-space daemon that reads from /dev/ttyS0 and sends
events to uinput. With this you don't need any kernel drivers - just a
user-space daemon.

HTH
Guennadi
---