Using RS232 Terminal as input device

hbruegge at rockwellcollins.com hbruegge at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Jun 6 18:08:51 EST 2006

Hi all

I am using the kernel (2.6.15) in an ppc-based embedded system through a
serial console on ttyS0 with no problems.

Now I attached a graphic card to the system, which is correctly
recognized and initialised by the Kernel. If I add "console=tty0
console=ttyS0,57600" to the bootargs, I have the boot messages of the
kernel on the screen and a login on the ttyS0.

What I now want to do is to disable the serial console and use the
graphic card as output and the raw character data (ASCII) coming in from
the terminal connected to the rs232 as input.

I have a login on the screen, if I delete the line console=ttyS0,57600
from the bootargs, but unfortunately no input if a key is pressed on the
terminal keyboard.

So my problem and question is, apart from not totally understanding the
input device system of 2.6.x ;-)
Has anyone ever done that?
Is it just a kernel configuration problem? If so what modules have to be
compiled in?
Are there any good documentaion about the new input device system ?

Basically I am totally confused ;-), so any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers

Harald