a problem of kernel-module version mismatch.

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 23:27:15 EST 2006

Hello everyone,
Now I am trying to cross-compile the driver for a customed FIFO peripheral
in my design. My embedded platform is Xilinx ML403 development board
(Virtex4) and the host linux is suse 64-bit. I use the cross-compiler to
compile the driver source files provided by Xilinx EDK. But the problem
happens:

# insmod FIFO.o
insmod: kernel-module version mismatch
        FIFO.o was compiled for kernel version
        while this kernel is version 2.4.26

If I use "-f" option, it shows:

insmod: kernel-module version mismatch
        FIFO.o was compiled for kernel version
        while this kernel is version 2.4.26
insmod: unresolved symbol XIo_In32
insmod: unresolved symbol XIO_Out32

My embedded linux kernel version is 2.4.26. My compiler is
"powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc 3.4.1". I don't know how the version mismatch
happened. Shall I change another cross-compiler version? I will appreciate
a lot if someone could tell me how to solve it. Thanks a lot.

Regards
Ming