Linux on Virtex4

Yoshio Kashiwagi kashiwagi at co-nss.co.jp
Thu Jul 13 12:00:21 EST 2006

Hi,

I am also operating Linux by Avnet V4FX12MM of a MPMC2+GSRD design.
However, V4FX and a PHY chips get very hot, and this design may
malfunction and may output oops.
Therefore, like an attached photo, my V4FX12MM applies a heat sink
and FAN, and is operating them.

Is it stabilizing and operating by your design?

Best Regards,

Yoshio Kashiwagi - Nissin Systems

> Hi Rick,
>
> I saw on linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org that you are trying to port
(or better you did) monta vista linux to Avnet's V4FX Mini-Module. I
will try to deal with the same thing. My design is basically the same:
all features of MM incorporated in CoreConnect style architecture. I
also tried with Multi Port Memory Controller (MPMC2) and ported (memory
works, but for LAN I still need phy datasheet) the Gigabit System
Reference Design (GSRD2) to Mini-Module.
> By using the MPMC2 memory core you can connect PPC directly to memory
using two PLBs (data and instruction separated). This way you might
solve the CPU cache errata. The problem with MPMC2 is that it consumes A
LOT of BRAM and logic. I tried to build a full featured system, but
V4FX12 lacks logic for the purpose.