VFS: Cannot open root device "31:03" or unknown-block(31,3)

HappyPhot happyphot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:48:02 EST 2006

> On Monday 02 January 2006 15:48, HappyPhot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   I've suffered for many days and "google" almost every where.
>> I would like to boot from the flash with jffs2 (i.e. using jffs2 as my
>> root /) . But it alyaws shows:
>> VFS: Cannot open root device..... (whole message is as below)
>>
>>   Anybody knows what may cause this ? Please help and
>> thank you.
>>[...]
>
> You omitted the interesting part of the log output, the bootarguments at
> the
> very beginning. What is the value of root= ?
> Maybe you made the typical mistake of specifying /dev/mtd3 instead
> of /dev/mtdblock3, or you didn't compile in support for mtd access as a
> block
> device?

Hi, David and all,
  I've tried root=/dev/mtdblock3, root=/dev/mtd3, root=31:03 etc.  And
"Caching
block device access to MTD devices" was also selected when 'make
menuconfig'.
The results were the same.
  I use "phys_mapped_flash" and "mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:2M(k4),2M(k6),
4M(rd),4M(jffs2),-(User_Data)". What is the "root=" I should use ?

  Also, I am wondering how the kernel knows "/dev/mtdblock3" is in my flash
?
I think I never do any setting about this....

thank you ,
/HappyPhot