VFS: Cannot open root device "31:03" or unknown-block(31,3)

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Tue Jan 3 02:57:34 EST 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 15:48, HappyPhot wrote:
> Hi,
>   I've suffered for many days and "google" almost every where.
> I would like to boot from the flash with jffs2 (i.e. using jffs2 as my
> root /) . But it alyaws shows:
> VFS: Cannot open root device..... (whole message is as below)
>
>   Anybody knows what may cause this ? Please help and
> thank you.
>[...]

You omitted the interesting part of the log output, the bootarguments at the
very beginning. What is the value of root= ?
Maybe you made the typical mistake of specifying /dev/mtd3 instead
of /dev/mtdblock3, or you didn't compile in support for mtd access as a block
device?

Greetings,

--
David Jander