Linux on PowerQUICC 8349E

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Dec 15 02:06:11 EST 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 5:50 AM, Awad, Sinan ((GE Healthcare)) wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I'm new to this list, so please be gentle ;)
> I've been working on vxWorks (5-6) for a few years on powerquicc CPUs.
>
> I wanted to check the option of moving to linux, I have a windriver
> sbc8349 evb, which I would like to boot linux on.
> - I downloaded crosstool, and am building the ppc603 toolchain (is
> that OK ? or is there some better toolchain ?)
> - Where do I go now ? I downloaded the latest kernel from
> kernel.orgmn and...

That's the right crosstool target.

> I am quite ok on linux, yet never cross-compiled or brought-up a
> board based on some flavor of linux..
>
> I have searched the web for information, but the sources of
> knowledge are quite sparse and not helpfull..

I'd suggest taking a look at a book like 'Building Embedded Linux
Systems' for general information about building the kernel and so forth.

For the MPC8349 the latest kernel supports the Freescale reference
boards and its my understanding that the windriver sbc8349 is pretty
close to the Freescale MPC8349E MDS board.

I would think if you contacted WindRiver that'd provide some help in
getting linux running on their board.

> Can someone please point me to a starting point, so that I can at
> least flash a bootloader to the board, with some sort of BSP, so
> that I can see at least some linux prompt on the serial port ? ;)

I'd take a look at the 'ltib' project from Freescale.  Its how they
are doing BSPs for their boards.  Its an open source project and the
guys working on it are pretty helpful.  It will get you an
environment setup that you can use to do development (cross compiler,
kernel, u-boot, rootfs packages, etc.).

- kumar