Upgrading cramfs root file system while running (DENX wrote that is not possible)

Tolunay Orkun betatester at orkun.us
Sun Apr 23 05:53:09 EST 2006

Antonio Di Bacco wrote:
> Little bit off topic:
> I decided to adopt a different strategy, the sw download web page will contain
> a java applet that will act as a tftp server, then the board will be rebooted
> and an environment variable will instruct the u-boot to tftp the new software
> from the applet. What do you think? I know that applets cannot read local
> files on the PC, unless they have a valid certificate but the user should
> trust me.
>
> Bye,
> Antonio.

If this approach hits a roadblock for some reason (user resistance,
firewall issues with tftp etc.), think about the following...

During the update you can use a small ram based file system (tempfs)
holding everything you need, kill all unneeded processes, fill your ram
based file system. Once this ram file system is filled you will
pivot_root to it making it new root fs and proceed to update from it.
Once update is down you can reboot.

I have not done this so it is very likely there are some details that I
cannot foresee at this very moment.

Best regards,
Tolunay