linuxppc-2.4.30-pre1 crashes with root fs on Xilinx SystemACE

Keith J Outwater kjoutwater at raytheon.com
Fri Sep 30 09:48:16 EST 2005

Peter -
That's about the throughput I saw on my system.  It's pretty slow!

Tony -
I did get things working by applying a "sysace nointr" patch that had been
posted to the list some
time ago in response to comments that SystemACE interrupts were not
working as expected on
Memec boards.  I did my initial development on a Memec board and had lots
of problems until
I disabled SystemACE interrupts.  Some day I may actually go back and try
to figure out
what is going on, but for the time being, I can live with what I have.

Peter Ryser <peter.ryser at xilinx.com> wrote on 09/28/2005 02:32:11 AM:

> Some time ago we did some tests with bonnie++ on Linux running on
> the PPC405 in a Virtex-II Pro FPGA. You can expect the following
performance:
> Read peak: 629 KB/s
> Write peak: 299 KB/s
> Not considering network overhead, a 10MB file should take less than
> a minute to update.
>
> - Peter
>

> Tony Lee wrote:
> Keith,
>
> Some suggestions, before you verify your hw board/FPGA works fine
> with SYSACE,
>     * don't use sysace as root fs.
>     * use a ram fs as root fs.
>     * Next, load sysace driver a loadable driver module.  It works,
> I tried it.
>     * check mount read only and see if it works.
>     * Next, mount it writable.
>
> We have some issues with sysace driver initially, everything works
> out fine later.
> There were small errors in our HW layout.
>
> I had to hack the sysace driver left and right to id the problem.  But
at the
> end, after I fixed the layout problem from the fpga's ucf file, the
> original driver
> run perfectly without any modification.
>
> In my experiences, the ppc linux distribution and its linux sysace
> driver are good
> if everything is setup correctly.
>
> One minor issues:  The sysace driver's write performance sucks.  I
> have to explain
> to others why the upgrade 10 MBytes files with usb flash writer takes
tens of
> seconds.  When we do it from linux (nfs or ftp), it tooks minutes to
sync.

> Peter, maybe you can push the xilinx a bit on sysace write performance?
:-)