squashfs on ppc

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Sep 23 06:10:01 EST 2005

Thanks for the reply. I've built file system images based on ext2,
cramfs and squashfs (2.1).

Uncompressed ext2 image is about 12MB consisting mostly of busybox,
other executables and shared libraries etc. Everything is stripped.

cramfs based image took the least ram allocation but the most flash
space (18% more than gzipped ext2 image).
squashfs was close to cramfs in ram usage but was about equal to gzipped
ext2 image.

Thus, I have found squashfs based initrd to be good blance between ram
and flash.