Which way to store log in flash on mpc8xx?

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Mon Sep 19 19:55:36 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am looking for a reliable way to store logfiles in flash. The logfiles are
written by syslogd.
The problem is that I am running on a MPC8xx processor, and kernel 2.6 is not
quite there yet for that processor, so I have to stick with 2.4.
Kernel of choice seems to be denx linuxppc_2_4_devel, but I cannot trust the
version of jffs2 used in that kernel anymore. Somtimes gc.c crashes with a
BUG() in line 139, and sometimes processes are frozen for a looong time
waiting for GC. I have debugged that problem a little bit, and definitely,
the FLASH access works ok, and the chip is new. No CRC- or read-errors, but
still gc.c crashes.
The version of mtd/jffs2 drivers in that kernel seem to be from march/2005 cvs
code, but when I read the following, I get even more scared:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions

So, I need something different. jffs (1) maybe ?
This must be a very common task (to store logfiles in flash), but I just can't
seem to find the right way to do it.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

--