Building Linux kernel with GCC 3.4.3 fails

IGOR LURI iluri at fagorautomation.es
Mon Sep 12 17:02:42 EST 2005

Hi all

I have a MPC5200 Lite evaluation board and I use uClibc buildroot
to build toolchain and root file system.

If I build toolchain using binutils 2.16.1 and gcc 3.4.3, 3.4.4 or 3.3.6,
I can`t build u-boot and kernel properly.

With binutils version 2.14.90.0.8 and GCC 3.4.3,
I can build u-boot correctly, and it works. But I can´t boot a Linux kernel
compiled with this gcc, when Linux is booting it crashes with a segmentation fault.

However, if I use gcc 2.95.4 and binutils 2.12.1 to build u-boot and kernel, everything works.

I want to use gcc version 3.x . What version of binutils and gcc should I use to build u-boot and Linux kernel properly?
Have someone use buildroot with to obtain a toolchain for PowerPC?

-Igor