MPC5200 Linux Init Problem

Frank Beesley frank.beesley at aeroflex.com
Fri Sep 9 08:19:59 EST 2005

> Hi Frank,
>
> I recommend you first try to boot using tftp to get your kernel and
> nfs to get
> your root filesystem.  Once that boots, you can play with MTD to make
> sure
> your flash chips have full addressability and all, and you can mount your
> jffs partition manually and look at it from the client.
>
> Also, it would be interesting to see what u-boot messages you receive at
> power-on.  You may also want to do a printenv command in u-boot and
> post what your u-boot settings are.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Peterson
> Advanced Communication Design

Here is the Uboot message and env:

U-Boot 1.1.3-ppc-0_3 (Aug 31 2005 - 17:55:35)

CPU:   MPC5200 v1.2 at 396
MHz
       Bus 132 MHz, IPB 66 MHz, PCI 66
MHz
Board: Aeroflex-Wichita
CAI
DRAM:  128
MB
FLASH: 32
MB
Using default
environment

In:
serial
Out:
serial
Err:
serial

Autostarting. Press any key to
abort..

Hit any key to stop autoboot:
0
Eric-CAI=>
printenv
bootcmd=bootm
FA200000
bootdelay=10

baudrate=115200

preboot=echo;echo Autostarting.  Press any key to
abort..;echo
bootargs=root=/dev/mtdblock2

Environment size: 144/65532 bytes

I don't have an ethernet connection on my custom board - bummer. TFTP
and NFS are out. To further explain my custom board, I have an Intel
host (running linux also) that is connected to an FPGA over the PCI bus.
The FPGA then shares the flash interface with the MPC5200. The Intel
host maps the flash using MTD drivers, writes the images, then releases
the flash to the MPC5200. At that point the MPC5200 is brought out of
reset and boots from flash. I have the flash partitioned for uboot,
kernel, rootfs, and a spare data partition. Uboot is at FA000000 (CS1
after initial assembly setup), kernel is at FA200000, rootfs is at
FA800000, spare is at FB800000.
0x00000000-0x00200000 :
"UBoot"
0x00200000-0x00800000 :
"Kernel"
0x00800000-0x01800000 :
"Rootfs"
0x01800000-0x02000000 :
"Cals"

The rootfs is crossing my CS1-CS2 boundary (FA000000, FB000000). I tried
putting my rootfs image in the cals partitions and changed my boot args
to /dev/mtdblock3. This didn't seem to change things. I believe my chip
selects are working properly - this does not rule out the MTD driver
though. I am working on a test now that tests (from uboot) the 30 MB of
flash area beyond uboot.

Any other ideas?

Frank