udhcp problem

Grant Likely glikely at gmail.com
Mon May 16 23:43:59 EST 2005

On 5/12/05, Atit_Shah <Atit_Shah at satyam.com> wrote:
> My configuration is as follows:
>
>                         _______________________
>                         |        ROUTER     |
>                         |       ___         ___   |
>                         |_____| |_______| |___|
>                            LAN   WAN
>                                 /\           /\
>                                  |              |
>                    Stand Alone      Company
>                  Windows System    Network
>                            (eth0)       (eth1)
>
> I have a udhcp server running on eth0. When I give the command on the
> windows machine "ipconfig /renew", the router assigns an IP address to
> the System in the range 192.168.1.x while the router itself has the IP
> 192.168.1.1 (default). I can ping the router from the system and
> vice-versa.
>
> I manually assigned a static IP to eth1 as 172.19.56.x insync with the
> company IP address scheme. I can ping from the router to any other
> system on the network.
>
> Now when I try to ping a system or eth1 from the windows machine I get a
> time out. But if I have to manually assign an IP to the windows
> machine(ie not through the udhcp server) I am able to ping eth1 and any
> other system on the network.

How have you set up routing?  Are you trying to do NAT?  You are
probably going to need to set up some IPTables.  It's more than just a
matter of bringing up both interfaces.  (BTW, congratulations on
getting both ports working now)  Have you read through any of the
networking howtos on linuxdocs.org?

g.