any hints using gcc 3.4.3 for 2.4.25 kernel?

Bryan O'Donoghue typedef at eircom.net
Thu Feb 24 02:38:15 EST 2005

Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 15:12, Wojciech Kromer wrote:
>
>>a)first i have:
>>- 2.4.25 kernel (from denx cvs)
>>- eldk with 2.95.4 compiler
>>this one set works fine :)
>>
>>b)then, i've tried  to same sources with:
>>gcc-3.4.3 , self build from uClibc buildroot
>>new hernel hangs just after decompressing :(
>>
>>any tricks?
>>

> you can use the include/linux/init.h and compiler.h from 2.4.29
> kernel + patching some header files, where the inlining does not
> work any longer. I also suggest comparing with 2.4.29 kernel.
>
> ciao,
> Gerhard

If all you want is a cross compiler to make a kernel why not try this
procedure ?

Tested with :

gcc-3.4.2
binutils-2.15.90.0.3
dietlibc-0.28 or dietlibc cvs

1
untar all sources

2
binutils:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/powerpc-linux --target=powerpc-linux

make
make install

3
gcc:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/powerpc-linux --target=powerpc-linux
--with-ecos --disable-nls --enable-threads=posix --disable-shared
--enable-languages=c --with-headers=../dietlibc/include

make
make install

There might be a little error in gcc/unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.c and
gcc/unwind-dw2-fde.h

I can't remember the exact errors in those two files, but, hopefully
those should be easy enough to fix.

Once you work around the slight inconsistency between dietlibc & gcc in
those two files, and make install, you should have a full toolchain in
/usr/local/powerpc-linux

I had been thinking about making a small script for kernel people such
as yourself, who wanted just a toolchain for kernel cross compiles.
Maybe I'll do that.

But, in any case, the above procedure gives me a 3.4.2 which is quite
happy to compile a 2.4.28-rc3 (though I haven't tried out the denx
2.4.25... but, I can't see why that would fail).

Hope this helps.

--
Bryan