Which kernel tree for future 8xx development?

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Fri Feb 18 02:50:53 EST 2005

Hi,

Which (of the many) is the most recommended 2.4.x tree for mpc8xx devices
(specially the MPC852T). We are developing our own board-support stuff and
drivers (it's a custom board designed by us).
Currently we have linuxppc-2_4_devel from DENX cvs and linuxppc-2_4_devel from
bitkeeper, which seems to be a newer kernel version, but with much less
different boards supported and less features for motorola powerpc processors.
What's the status of CPM driver stuff for instance?

We started on DENX kernel sources and switched to bitkeeper because of some
misinterpreted advice I received from this list about an unrelated problem,
only to find apparently less mpc8xx support.

Now I am observing myself doing apparently absurd things as for example taking
arch/ppc/8260_io/cpm_spi.c from DENX and putting it into arch/ppc/8xx_io/
from bitkeeper and hacking until it works (again). It still doesn't. Where on
earth is the original driver (which was for MPC860, not MPC8260)!??

Before we port all of our stuff once again from one tree to another, can
someone please give me a good advice on which way to go now and in forseeable
future?
One day I'd like to be able to make all our board-support stuff into something
useful for others and go beg for inclusion in the main sources.... but where?

Greetings,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.