I2C/SPI/SMC relocation patch works for both SMC 1 and 2?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 29 01:22:09 EST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.60.0409280836340.9825 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

>    but the PDF file doesn't refer explicitly to SMC1, just to the
> generic SMC(UART).  does this mean that the same instructions to

It relates to the SMC which parameter RAM  location  is  in  conflict
with the SPI/I2C parameter RAM, i. e. SMC1.

> relocate SMC1 could also relocate SMC2 at the same time?  the writeup

I think it makes little sense to speculate about this without knowing
anything about how the microcode patch actually works.

> isn't clear on this and, from what i've read, it might be useful to
> relocate SMC2 if one wants to use the reserved memory just before it
> for, say, ethernet on SCC4 (if that's even possible).

No, this is impossible as there is no SCC4 on a MPC823/850.

>    so, short question -- i know that patch supports relocating SMC1.
> does it also handle *both* SMC1 and SMC2?  or, perhaps, SMC2 all by
> itself?  there's nothing in the writeup i can see that clarified this.

It is not even mentioned, so assume it is NOT supported.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I think it's a new feature. Don't tell anyone it was an accident. :-)
  -- Larry Wall on s/foo/bar/eieio in <10911 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>