I2C/SPI/SMC relocation patch works for both SMC 1 and 2?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 28 22:43:32 EST 2004

   i'm reading the microcode patch PDF doc file describing the
relocation of I2C/SPI/SMC for the 850.  as i've mentioned, in my case,
i've relocated *specifically* SMC1 so i can use SCC3 for ethernet and
it seems to work just fine.

   but the PDF file doesn't refer explicitly to SMC1, just to the
generic SMC(UART).  does this mean that the same instructions to
relocate SMC1 could also relocate SMC2 at the same time?  the writeup
isn't clear on this and, from what i've read, it might be useful to
relocate SMC2 if one wants to use the reserved memory just before it
for, say, ethernet on SCC4 (if that's even possible).

   so, short question -- i know that patch supports relocating SMC1.
does it also handle *both* SMC1 and SMC2?  or, perhaps, SMC2 all by
itself?  there's nothing in the writeup i can see that clarified this.

rday