Linux on MPC5200 - LITE5200EVAL & New bestcomm code ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 3 19:03:26 EST 2004

In message <40458A8C.8020009 at 246tNt.com> you wrote:

> and it works just fine ... Apparently when the kernel was too big, the
> area near 100000 is probably used by u-boot in some way, maybe during

Well, it is not used by U-Boot itself, but when you have a big  Linux
kernel it starts overwriting itself when you uncompress it to address
0.

> software issue. Maybe u-boot should give some warning about that ( if
> it's the cause, not yet sure ). But that's off topic here.

U-Boot does not know the uncompressed size in advance. And  anyway  -
it's  a  pilot  error  :-)  In modification of anmother famous quote:
"U-Boot was not designed  to  stop  you  from  doing  stupid  things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

> Now, I'm just looking forward for new BestComm code, to get AC97 and IDE
> DMA running ( quite slow and CPU intensive right now ... ).

:-(

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  How many DEC repairman does it take to fix a flat ?
A:  Five; four to hold the car up and one to swap tires.