PRoblem with VirtexII Pro: maybe the toolchain?

Roberto Farina roberto.farina at cefriel.it
Wed Jul 7 18:40:26 EST 2004

Hi list,
I'm currently trying to make Linux booting on my Memec XC2VP7 board that
holds a Xilinx V2Pro device.

I'm using gcc version 3.3.2 for ppc405 compiled with crosstool (thx D.
Kegel) ;)

This toolchain makes me succeded in compiling the kernel; downloading it
with xilinx tools brings this output to the serial console

loaded at:     00800000 008561C8
board data at: 00085EB4 00085EEC
relocated to:  00805308 00805340
zimage at:     00805833 00852A7C
avail ram:     00857000 4D046405

Linux/PPC load:
Uncompressing Linux...done.
Now booting the kernel

At this point the system hangs...

I'm still trying to figure out where the system stops or what's
happening: I'll give more detail when I'll find them :(
I'm sorry for the poor info I can give you at this point.

I tried to compile the same kernel with the Xilinx toolchain (gcc
2.95.3) but many linking steps require some file that must be copied
from the Xilinx EDK prj: after copying them I face lots of multiple
definition problems... I stopped this investigation for now.

Did anyone experienced the same problems (or knows about a possible
reason for this kind of hangs?)

Thanks in advance for any help
Best regards

Roberto Farina
CEFRIEL - Digital Technologies and Operating Systems Unit
Via Fucini, 2 - 20133 MILANO (ITALY)
Phone:  +39 02 23954 236
Fax:    +39 02 23954 254
~        178 606 5693