Stable File System for embedded product

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Tue Jan 20 08:00:10 EST 2004

Just from the FHS perspective (the file system standard for Linux)

everything on linux can (and should be) read-only mounted, with the
following exceptions:

   /etc/mtab -- It can be a symlink to /proc/mounts (or a link to a
writable location)

   /tmp  -- mount as a tmpfs (or link to /var/tmp)
   /var  -- mount again as a tmpfs, or a read-write storage

Of course each distribution varies and applications, distributions, etc
have bugs when it comes to FHS compliance..  but this should be the
end-goal for all systems to be standards based.

(For my own systems, usually I have /etc on a read-write capable disk..
but mount read-only..  /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/mounts, /tmp is a
symlink to /var/tmp.  /var/tmp is tmpfs.. the rest of var is either
tmpfs or a read-write disk depending on the application.)

--Mark