PCI daughter card with USB on a 405GP

v.sudeep at exgate.tek.com v.sudeep at exgate.tek.com
Tue Feb 24 03:11:23 EST 2004

Hi Everyone !!!

I am finding it a bit difficult to overcome a problem related to the PCI
daughter card with USB on my 405GP IBM Walnut board. If anyone can help me,
I would be greatful to them.

My problem is as follows....
I want to install a USB printer on my 405GP board. Unfortunately the 405GP
does not have a USB port. So I am trying to use a PCI daughter card with
USB. I tried using two different cards  - OPTi 82c861 and ALi M5273. In both
cases it seems to have some problems in booting up. i.e when the kernel is
probing the pci bus, some errors seem to happen. I snooped the kernel code
and identified as to when the error is being thrown out but am not sure what
exactly is wrong and how I can set it right.

This error occurs in :
	file 	- ./drivers/pci/setup-res.c
	function - pci_assign_bus_resource
	line 	- if ((res->flags ^ r->flags) & type_mask)
			continue;

This results in a kernel panic.  I am not sure of how I could go around this
problem. Any suggestions on how to get the USB card up will be greatly
appreciated.

And thanks in advance.

Note:

1.	Our setup over here is as follows:
		Host Machine : Intel x86 having Red Hat 9 installed
		Target Board : IBM Walnut board - 405GP with PowerPC
processor
		Cross-Compiler: MonteVista Hard Hat Linux 2.0  for the
ibm-walnut board

2. 	Also attaching a file containing all the messages that the kernel
pattered out.

 <<booting-up-messages>>

- S u d e e p    V
Don't change horses in mid stream.