Software routing in 8275

Jostein Pettersen jostein.pettersen at westerngeco.com
Fri Dec 10 02:43:41 EST 2004

Hi,

We consider using a MPC8275 running Embedded Linux to route two 100MB/s
Ethernet links in software. The traffic will mostly be incoming on the two
FE links and outgoing on the PCI bus, which is connected to a gigabit
routing chip (can't connect the two FE links to the routing chip directly,
since it only has GE ports).

My question is:
Will the MPC8275 be able to handle 2xFE full speed?

Doing the calculations about bus speeds etc, it looks ok, but I know Linux
does not like high interrupt rates. Is there a rule of thumb about what's
the maximum recommended interrupt rate at a given clock speed?

Hope to hear from you,
Regards
Jostein Pettersen