[SPAM] Re: m8xx hang in reboot

Mark S. Mathews mark at linux-wlan.com
Fri Aug 27 01:34:56 EST 2004

Dan, Stefan, all...

Yup, doing a read via the mtd device after the write to the mtd device
appears to take care of the problem.  Hmmm, is this an mtd bug?  or
perhaps a board specific thing.

Oh well, don't have time to debug the mtd stuff right now so I'll just do
the read-after-write workaround and move on.

My thanks to all for the suggestions and for making me think,
-Mark

BTW Dan: The wlan device does get shutdown (and driver is unloaded) before
          the reboot call.  The wierd thing is that I set up the system in
          a mode where the wlan device is never brought up at all, did the
          flash unlock/erase/write (no read), and issued the reboot...
          it worked just fine.  The reboot failure seems to require that
          the wlan device be operational.  Seems to imply that this problem
          is somehow tied to one or more of: pcmcia hw, wlan device hw,
          pcmcia sw, or wlan sw.  'Tis a quandry.  Perhaps we'll never
          know, I've got other fish to fry now...

--

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Systems      Web:    http://www.linux-wlan.com
721-D North Drive          e-mail: mark at linux-wlan.com
Melbourne, FL 32934        Phone:  321.259.0737
USA                        Fax:    321.259.0286