value of XIP? and whether it works with 2.6 kernel?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Aug 26 11:27:46 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:01 -0400, Dan Malek wrote:
> The kernel XIP from Flash isn't very hard to implement,
> it is just very board configuration dependent.  All you
> need is a proper linker command file for your board
> and a couple of start up MMU hacks......for PowerPC.

It's a little bit harder than that if you want to actually write to the
same flash chip you're running from. :)

Not a _lot_ harder though -- you just put the flash-mangling routines
into a separate section in RAM and disabling interrupts while you're in
them (you can poll for interrupts, suspend pending writes/erases and
handle the interrupts without particularly evil latencies).

I did it a long time ago -- just couldn't ever see the point in merging
it.

--
dwmw2