How to boot U-Boot from RAM

Junita Ajith junita_ppc at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 15:20:42 EST 2004

Hi

I am trying to have a different version of UBoot with some utilities
added to it. So I'm trying to figure out a way to check if that upgraded
version of UBoot works fine, without copying it to the default location
where my original UBoot resides in the flash. I am using a 8540 board.

   I changed the linker file u-boot.lds, by mapping it all to RAM
locations. When I compiled it, I could get the final U-Boot image
u-boot.bin of size 154KB.

  I tried to tftp to 0x2000000 of RAM and said go, it hangs (always I
have acopy of the working UBoot image in my default Flash location).

The disassembly of both the UBoot images seems to be the same, except
that in the binary I couldn't see the image header in a readable for the
upgraded image, where as I could see that for the original U-Boot.

I guess may be as the original u-boot has intialised the ports..TLBs
etc, it clashes. I am not sure but...

     All I need to know is how do we run the UBoot from RAM, without
using flash. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Junita