Init hangs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 5 20:33:19 EST 2004

In message <200408051154.54426.Schramel.Linux at go.bartec.de> you wrote:

> my kernel hangs by initializing the system. My target is mpc8270-based. I use ELDK 3.0 and mount my root-fs over nfs.
> Denx-kernel 2.4.25.
> It seems like it hangs in "run_init_process("/sbin/init");" or the /sbin/init - file does not work.
> Sometimes the message "INIT: version 2.84 booting" is showed. And after printing this message it hangs, too.
> But the most times it looks like above.
>
> Any ideas?

Run ethereal and have a look at  the  network  traffic.  Check  which
files get loaded and/or accessed. This might give you an idea.

But first check your memory map. Kernels crashing when entering  user
space   are   often   an  indication  of  illegal  memory  maps.  See
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/PPCEmbedded/Kernel#Section_10.2.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
How much net work could a network work, if a network could net work?