EST sbc8260 boot debug

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Sat Nov 8 09:11:29 EST 2003

Wolfgang is sleeping right now so I'll try to recreate his standard response...

1) ppcboot is a dead project.  It has been replaced by u-boot.  Please switch to u-boot:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/u-boot/

2) There is a u-boot email list that you can send questions to.  Please use that for u-boot questions.

2) Running out of RAM is strongly discouraged.  u-boot (ppcboot) is intended to run out of flash as a boot program.  Running out of RAM is an unsupported option.  While you can run it out of RAM, you will have to understand your hardware and implications of hardware initialization that is performed by default by u-boot (ppcboot).  The fact that you are asking these questions indicates you have not considered the hardware problems.

Please use your bdi2000 to program a standard unmodified sbc8260 build into flash and THEN ask questions on the u-boot list if it doesn't work.

gvb

P.S. IIRC, the standard sbc8260 configuration jumper is set to "boot low" (0000_0100).  The standard sbc8260 u-boot build is set to "boot high" (FFF0_0100).  You will want to change that jumper.