Problems with MMU: address translation for 0xXXXXXXXX failed

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 15 09:52:09 EST 2003

Jeremy,

in message <DEA23DB61B62D4118B5900508B323B84012CC7D6 at OPENMAIL> you wrote:

> > The Abatron firmware is available only if you pay  for  the  license,
> > then  you  will get one your of updates. After that, you can purchase
> > an extension for the next year for 15% or the original price for  the
> > license.
>
> Is this like MicroSoft Licensing V6 ?? "You've bought the product but now
> you have to keep paying us so you can use it!!"

You can use it as long as you want. But Once the first year after the
purchase is over, you will not receive any new updates for  free  any
more.

If you need newer versions of the firmware you have to pay a  license
fee.

> This is a piece of hardware that I've bought and paid for. I cannot operate
> the hardware that I own, without the firmware so the firmware is integral to
> the device. If the firmware has bugs in it, should I have to pay for
> bug-fixes ?

If you didn't find the bugs during the first year of usage, then yes,
you have to pay for support & updates.

> If that is, in fact, Abatron's business model then I think it sucks.

Try to find _any_ tool provider that has better support!

> As it turns out, my company does recieve updates from Abatron which I simply
> hadn't applied, but again there is nothing in either the zip file or the
> email that indicates anything about any restrictions on the use of the
> firmware.

You receive the email only as long as you are entitled for it - i. e.
after installing the initial version from the floppy, which  contains
the  License Agreement. And the email updates will stop once one year
is over and you don't purchase an extension.

> I don't believe I've done anything wrong and I would do the same thing next
> time.
>
> If you have any evidence to the contrary, please provide it before spreading
> accusations.

You stated that you received the software "from a  friend".  This  is
not  exactly  the  same  as  receiving  an  official update from your
distributor.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 B.C. - A.D. 65)