Denx ELDK vs. Tool-Chain from Hollobaugh's book "Embedded Linux"

Matt Porter porter at cox.net
Wed Jan 29 01:26:27 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 05:49:23AM -0800, brian.auld at adic.com wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I'm still slugging along here getting familiar with the GNU cross-compile
> tool-chain and all that good stuff for my group's upcoming embedded 440GP
> project.
>
> We already have an ebony board (used for previous VxWorks product) and I'm
> now waiting patiently for our bureaucrats to put through the order for a
> BDI2000 so I can get something (U-Boot and then Linux) onto the board.

Just in case you aren't aware, a BDI and/or U-Boot are not necessary
in order to boot Linux on the Ebony board.  You can boot a kernel
directly from the OpenBIOS firmware now.

You can even flash PPCBoot/U-Boot using Linux booted via OpenBIOS if
you build in Ebony MTD support in the kernel.

> As I've played with different tool-chain options, I think I've narrowed it
> down to the following.
>
> 1) Denx's ELDK
>
> 2) The tool-chain used in Craig Hollobaugh's book "Embedded Linux"

Having played with a few freely available toolkits, I've found that
the ELDK is the most comprehensive free offering.  I haven't really
noticed anything major missing from the cross tools or target apps.
It should be even more complete since when I last used it 4-6 months
ago. If I didn't have an mvista toolchain for my daily work, I'd fall
back to the ELDK.

> Also regarding (2), the book sets up the cross development environment on a
> minimal debian linux box. I can't think of why, but is there any reason I
> would have to stick with this distribution for my linux development server?

No reason.  Of course, I can't imagine why anybody would host off of
anything other than Debian. :)

Regards,
--
Matt Porter