gcc-3.2 and MPC8xx

Conn Clark clark at esteem.com
Tue Jan 28 04:08:51 EST 2003

Steven Scholz wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I read that MontaVista released a 3.0 with gcc 3.2.
>
> Does it make sense to switch from 2.95.3/4 to gcc 3.2 for MPC8xx PowerPC?
>
> Are there any big advantages when building u-boot, kernel, drivers,
> busybox and
> multithreaded applications?
>
> Thanks a million,
>
> Steven

I don't know about using gcc 3.2 on PPC but on X86 its wonderful. 3.2.X
(mabey even 3.1.x) has two features called profile-arcs and
branch-probabilities that can boost speed quite a bit. Read the gcc man
page on how to use these options.

Good Luck

	Conn

   If you live at home long enough, your parents will move out.
  (Warning they may try to sell their house out from under you.)

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				clark at esteem.com
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com