Linux Kernel hangs after execve("/bin/sh")

Chirag Kantharia kantharia at hathway.com
Wed Jan 22 20:47:12 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:15:32AM -0800, Prakash kanthi wrote:
| I wrote a small standalone program hello.c to test, if
| i can dynamically load it from init() instead of
| ramdisk and called from init(). Following is the
| output. You can see that, it did all of it that it did
| for /bin/sh and also tried to open /etc/ld.so.preload
| and /etc/ld.so.cache and failed. But again towards the
| end, it tries to open /lib/libc.so.6 and succeds but
| still no output is displayed that hello.c is trying to
| print.

Quite sometime back, I had run into similar problem. init=/bin/bash
would not work, but init=/bin/helloworld would work. Later, I realized
that the board did not have FPU, and I had to pass relevant flags to
glibc, while compilation. The same might be the case with your board.

--
Chirag Kantharia, symonds.net/~chyrag/