A few questions in embedded linux

Khai Trinh kqtrinh at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 18 05:15:44 EST 2003

Hi folks,

We are developing a PCI adapter card based out of the
PPC440GP using MVL version 2.1 (kernel 2.4.17).

I have several issues as listed below:

1. I'd like to reserve a 4M RAM space for DMA
purposes. What I did was adding
CONFIG_CMD_LINE="root=60M" since our board has 64MB of
RAM. How do I know the system really now configure to
be only 60MB? How then can I get a virtual addr to the
4MB DMA buffer? I did ioremap() given it the start of
the 60MB RAM physical addr, but I get a bus error with
the following message:

Jan 1 00:01:42 199 kernel: __ioremap(): phys addr
3c00000 is RAM lr c000a57c

2. We have a list of files (ie: hhlfiles) required to
build a RAM DISK that is non networked. What other
files involved that we need to build a RAM DISK that
has full network capability( ie: telnet, ftp, ping,
rlogin, mount, etc...)?

3. When the ethernet driver comes up it does a bootp
request to find its IP address.... How do we configure
it such that it picks it up from a file or flash?

Thanks,

--Khai