8xx SCC and SMC uart latency

Eli Brin elib at rokonet.co.il
Wed Jan 15 23:37:48 EST 2003

Dear Jerry and Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply.

I have changed the kernel clock rate to 1000 (/include/asm-ppc/param.h,
#define HZ 1000). It helped.
We reply in about 2mSec and we are within the 4mSec timeout.

As we are new to Linux, we imigrated from windows :), it took us some time.

We have a C++ program that listens to the serial port and reads the data.
If a packete has the address of our program we parse the data, and reply.

In parallel the program listens on a TCP port and waits for commands.  Those
commands are sent through the serial port.
We use goap (soap xml for c/c++).

The initial tests where done witout all the parsing and TCP overhead.  We
just replied imidiatly to packets addressed to us, and we got 5-8mSec delay
from the last char we received and the first char we send.  Now (HZ=1000)
it's 2mSec with the parsing and TCP/IP.

Can we leave the HZ to 1000 ?

Now that is works we can commit our project to Linux and use the RTAI.

Thanks again, and
Best Regards
Eli Brin