Assistance with using /dev/fb0 and No X windows

Gallant, John jgallant at vanteon.com
Tue Jan 14 03:23:04 EST 2003

Hello,

    I have managed to get the "default" VGA/FB support to access my graphics
device on the onboard PCI bus.  We a SMI LynxEM chip on the board.  I have
the vga init() code properly accessing the device and the on chip frame
buffer.  I have used fbset to determine if /dev/fb0 can be accessed, and the
driver is called.  I also tried "ls -l > /dev/fb0" this also gets into the
vga16fb_get_fix() code.

    What I need to do, and here is my lack of understanding, is to have some
program access the /dev/fb0 device and display on the CRT.  I do not have
any X support, only whatever came with the MVL distribution.  I am wondering
what is necessary to use mingetty, or some other display method.

    Added wrinkles:  No keyboard yet, but I do have the console=ttyS0
working.

    So any advice on what I could use or what I may have missed in my
Xconfig settings?

The following is what I have for the CONFIG_FB settings:
#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CT65550 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
# CONFIG_FB_MQ200 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IT8181 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_MFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_AFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ILBM is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P4 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P8 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_MAC is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES=y
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

Thank you