DMA and caches -- 'correct handling'?

Mark Pilon mpilon at midrivers.com
Sat Jan 4 04:51:25 EST 2003

this is a ppc405 -based controller question but has bearing on
the right way to DMA under linux, in general:

I have an application in which I'll be DMAing several megabytes
from memory into a fifo;  the data are cpu-created so I'd expect
I'd need to flush the data cache prior to starting the DMA.

is this implicitly done by any of the setup & start-dma calls or
should I explicitly do this myself.

also, give the sizeof the source buffer and the smallness of the
405 data cache, I'd expect I should flush the entire cache to
memory (flush pending writes) rather than for the entire address
range of the source buffer.

thoughts?

thanks,

Mark