Intial ramdisk and kernel

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Dec 24 10:50:49 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:54:42PM -0500, Ashwin Bihari wrote:
> >From my reading these lists and other forums, it seems that with the PPC
> platform, I have to compile the INITRD into the kernel, how do I go about
> doing this???
>
> I'm using a PrPMC800 based installation. Any and all help appreciated.

With the stock firmware on a PrPMC800, yes, you have to attach the
ramdisk to the kernel.  You do this by copying the compressed ramdisk
image to arch/ppc/boot/images/ramdisk.image.gz.  Then do a
'make zImage.initrd'.  That will deposit a zImage+initrd image into
arch/ppc/boot/images/.

If you have a U-boot port to your board then you can be a lot more
flexible since it can load a kernel image and ramdisk separately.

-Matt