Opps...with ELDK-2.1.0 (ppc_4xx)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 24 05:18:40 EST 2003

In message <F9102D41F595D311ACA7009027DE2C8406AB8214 at c3po.heurikon.com> you wrote:

> Wolfgang:
> I know you had some examples of i2c-based rtc support in your tree.  Assuming the above is the cause behind the oops, does your driver preclude rtc updates from the timer interrupt context?

So far we used the RTC just to set the system date&time when booting.
No interrupt involved here.

Last year we added support for NTP to the ELDK, but  missed  to  test
this on systems with a I2C based RTC (another lesson learned). It was
only  now  when I was about to officially announce the new ELDK (main
new feature: suppoort for MIPS) when we ran into the problem.

> Some time ago I queried the list on the best way to support an i2c-based RTC; at that time, there was no consensus.
> Any more thoughts along these lines?

I still feel the whole I2C layer is overkill for embedded systems. In
some projects we decided to ignore it in favour of smaller code  with
a finer granularity of control.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore. It's too crowded.