Opps...with ELDK-2.1.0 (ppc_4xx)

Montgomery, Tim timm at artesyncp.com
Thu Apr 24 03:18:15 EST 2003

[Wolfgang]

> >This means you have a RTC on the I2C bus, right? Same here. It  works
> >fine on all baords except those with a I2C based RTC. Which is why we
> >detected the problem so late.

[Eugene]
> It looks like a bug in m41t00_set_rtc_time.
>
> Generic I2C layer is very high-level subsystem and can not be
> used from the interrupt context.

If the i2c layer cannot be used in the (e.g. timer) interrupt context, wouldn't that preclude the use of the i2c layer to provide support (i.e. clock updates) to an i2c-based rtc?

Any suggestions on how to work around this?

Wolfgang:
I know you had some examples of i2c-based rtc support in your tree.  Assuming the above is the cause behind the oops, does your driver preclude rtc updates from the timer interrupt context?

Some time ago I queried the list on the best way to support an i2c-based RTC; at that time, there was no consensus.
Any more thoughts along these lines?

Regards,
Tim