Opps...with ELDK-2.1.0 (ppc_4xx)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 24 03:14:56 EST 2003

In message <F9102D41F595D311ACA7009027DE2C840527B19B at c3po.heurikon.com> you wrote:

> i2c is somewhat slow...and I looked at the driver to see it using spin_lock() around the write to the rtc. This could potentially be the problem...and it most likely would not be observed with a memory mapped rtc device (because it is much faster than i2c).

Ummm... can you please try using shorter lines? Some 70...80 chars or
so? Thanks.

> I just changed spin_lock() to spin_lock_irq() and I'm currently testing it.
>
> Wolfgang:  Is the driver that you're seeing the problem with using spin_lock().

No, it is not. We see the problem for example  on  the  LWMON  board,
which uses drivers/char/pcf8563_rtc.c and drivers/i2c/i2c-simple.c.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I'm what passes for a Unix guru in my office. This is  a  frightening
concept. - Lee Ann Goldstein, in <3k55ba$c43 at butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>