Kernel Debugging

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 15 09:18:02 EST 2003

In message <406B9D084FAFD4118C980008C79FADB901B57FF7 at ALBMAIL> you wrote:

> I got a bunch of ????? marks on serial console once the kernel gets run from
> "ppcboot", and then I start GDB with cmd "target remote /dev/ttyS0" on the
> host. The GDB got messages like "Ignoring packet error, continuing..." and
> then timeed out to close connection.

This is usually an indication that you tried to rn the  native  (x86)
GDB  which  will not be anle to communicate with a PPC target. Please
use the PPC cross version of GDB instead (ppc_8xx-gdb).

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
He had quite a powerful intellect, but it  was  as  powerful  like  a
locomotive,  and  ran on rails and was therefore almost impossible to
steer.                          - Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_