Can't set CFLAGS before configuring glibc

Darin.Johnson at nokia.com Darin.Johnson at nokia.com
Tue Apr 15 15:00:27 EST 2003

I'm trying to build glibc-2.2.5 with gcc-core-2.95.3.  If I set
CFLAGS to include "-msoft-float" before the configure, then the
build breaks quickly with a "glibc cannot be compiled without
optimization" error.

My guess is that this overrides the default CFLAGS which contains
optimization flags.  But I can't decipher what's going on to figure
out how to just _append_ to the CFLAGS.

If I could just make the compiler default to -msoft-float or
-mcpu=403, I wouldn't need this.  I did compile gcc using
"--with-cpu=403 --nfp" but this doesn't seem to affect the
default (checked by running "powerpc-linux-gcc -v test.c").
If either -msoft-float or -mcpu=403 are specified, the
-D_SOFT_FLOAT_ does get set correctly.

Darin Johnson