Kernel Debugging

Yang, Bo bo.yang at transcore.com
Tue Apr 15 07:38:32 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to debug the linux kernel using remote GDB via serial port on
MPC8xxFADS board. I built the kernel (2.4.4 from denx) with "kernel
hacking-->Include kgdb kernel debugger" turned on. (I am not sure that
turning on this flag is enough to support kernel debugging).

I got a bunch of ????? marks on serial console once the kernel gets run from
"ppcboot", and then I start GDB with cmd "target remote /dev/ttyS0" on the
host. The GDB got messages like "Ignoring packet error, continuing..." and
then timeed out to close connection.

Who can tell me what I am missing? Is it possible to debug linux kernel
without any BDM/JTAG debugger?

Any useful feedbacks are appreciated.

Bo Yang