serial console lost when linux kernel boots up

Yang, Bo bo.yang at transcore.com
Sat Apr 12 05:49:54 EST 2003

Hello,

I am trying to run linux kernel (Linux version 2.4.4 downloaded from DENX)
on MPC8XXFADS (CPU:860T) board. The root file system is mounted via NFS.
The root file system I used is the one coming with DENX's ELDK package (I
use ELDK cross compile tools).

The problem is that once the linux kernel boots up I lose serial
console(e.g. no loggin prompt). There is one warning message as the last
printout on my console terminal:
"Warning: unable to open an initial console". I look at the root file system
on my host linux box and found out that there is no device file populated
under "opt/eldk/ppc_8xx/dev".
I wonder the root file system I used may not be a complete file system. Any
ideas? Thanks for any hints.

Bo Yang