serial console lost when linux kernel boots up

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 12 06:21:02 EST 2003

In message <406B9D084FAFD4118C980008C79FADB901B57FF4 at ALBMAIL> you wrote:

> I am trying to run linux kernel (Linux version 2.4.4 downloaded from DENX)
> on MPC8XXFADS (CPU:860T) board. The root file system is mounted via NFS.
> The root file system I used is the one coming with DENX's ELDK package (I
> use ELDK cross compile tools).
>
> The problem is that once the linux kernel boots up I lose serial
> console(e.g. no loggin prompt). There is one warning message as the last
> printout on my console terminal:
> "Warning: unable to open an initial console". I look at the root file system
> on my host linux box and found out that there is no device file populated
> under "opt/eldk/ppc_8xx/dev".
> I wonder the root file system I used may not be a complete file system. Any
> ideas? Thanks for any hints.

RTFM.

The ELDK documentation (see file README.html) clearly states that you
have to run the two scripts ELDK_MAKEDEV and ELDK_FIXOWNER before you
can use the filesystem as NFS root.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If programming was easy, they wouldn't need something as  complicated
as a human being to do it, now would they?
                       - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_