/dev/vme Permissions for users other than root...

Didier Kryn kryn at in2p3.fr
Wed Jan 23 19:32:52 EST 2002

	Hi JoAnna.

	I'm just a user of the driver of Gabriel and I need to use
it in normal user applications. Givint public r/w permission to /dev/vme
is not enough, since the driver will not accept to change the
attribute if you are not root. I have found the following
workaround, which works well:

	Consider that the path is shared between the user process and
any of its childs that inherits it. If a child has the root priviledge,
it can change the attributes and this change reflects to its parent.

	Then you just need to write a program which takes the attributes
in argument, belongs to root and has the uid bit set, which sets the
attributes and exits. You write a function to call it easily from
user applications and it is done.

	One question I did not address up to now is the following:
Do the attributes apply only to processes inheriting the same path or to
all the processes using simultaneously /dev/vme ?

	Greetings.	Didier