/dev/vme Permissions for users other than root...

jdweyer at rockwellcollins.com jdweyer at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Jan 23 09:57:13 EST 2002

(disregard prior email; subject was not included)

Greetings,

We are using Linux version 2.2.12 with Gabriel Paubert's patches for the
Motorola MVME2600 platform.   I have
my application working opening /dev/vme and then doing ioctl calls to set
the attributes.  It works
fine only when I am root.  When another user tries to run the application,
the ioctl (not the open) fails.
I have changed the permissions of /dev/vme to rw for all (ugo) and have
even gone as far as
changing ownership and group to the user's instead of root, but to no
avail.  The permissions
of /dev/vme are crwxrwxrwx.  I realize the execute (x) permission is
ineffective, but I'm trying everything.

Do you have any ideas of what to try?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

JoAnna Weyer