linux booting

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 26 04:35:12 EST 2002

Hi,

in message <002301c24b03$038024f0$fc4bb73d at leeyang> you wrote:

> > > I have a BDI2000,but I think I should debug the bootm
> > > part of ppcboot,however someone says it is quite
> > > difficult to do so( at least for me).
> >
> > Well, it's not _that_ difficult. Try it out, so you get used to is ;-)
>
> I wish it is not that hard,however I can not debug the kernel or
> ppcboot according the  brief introduction in BDI manual.:(

There are some more hints at
http://www.denx.de/doc/TQM8xxL/debugging.html

> I want to watch r3,r4,r5,r6,r7 register when ppcboot transferring
> to kernel.Could you tell me how to get that? thanks a lot!

Start PPCBoot, setup bootargs etc., load  the  kernel  image.  Before
finally typing the "bootm" command set a (hardware) breakpoint at the
kernel entry point (= physical address 0x0000).

When hitting the breakpoint, print the registers...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You don't have to worry about me. I might have been born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night.