linux booting

leeyang leeyang at ycig.com
Sat Aug 24 10:07:28 EST 2002

> > When I "bootm 0x10000"in ppcboot,it runs to
> > "Transferring control to linux kernel",then hangs
> > there,and I see nothing in the console.:(
>
> This will never work. I bet it  didn't  work  with  your  old  kernel
> either.  0x10000  is  just  64  kB  -  this  is _never_ enough for an
> uncompressed Linux kernel.  You  will  overwrite  your  kernel  while
> uncompressing it, which crashes the system. Use a higher load address,
somthing like 0x200000.

Sorry! I lost a zero here,I mean 0x100000,so old kernel can boot there.

> > In the PPCBoot guide(FAQ section),it mentioned
> > 2 possible causes,wrong bdinfo and clocks_in_mhz
> > I do check it and feel nothing wrong,however
> > nothing yet.
>
> You have to _unset_ clocks_in_mhz for a 2.4.20-pre2 kernel.
>
> > I have a BDI2000,but I think I should debug the bootm
> > part of ppcboot,however someone says it is quite
> > difficult to do so( at least for me).
>
> Well, it's not _that_ difficult. Try it out, so you get used to is ;-)

I wish it is not that hard,however I can not debug the kernel or
ppcboot according the  brief introduction in BDI manual.:(

I want to watch r3,r4,r5,r6,r7 register when ppcboot transferring
to kernel.Could you tell me how to get that? thanks a lot!